DATE: Wednesday, November 11, 2020
TIME: 7:30 p.m. PST
We're excited to announce that on Nov. 11, 2020, San Francisco's own Ryan Kane comes back to Ring 216 for an exclusive online masterclass!
First, he'll teach you some great routines you can perform, then he'll provide feedback on performances by 10 members of Ring 216. Lecture notes will be offered.
Would you like performance feedback from a working pro? Paid members of Ring 216 can sign up by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We only have time for 10 performances, so if there are more than 10 signups, we will have a lottery.
This event will be broadcast on Zoom at no charge to Ring 216 members and friends. You must be signed up with the Ring 216 mailing list to receive the Zoom link
A message from Ryan
Good feedback begins with good questions. Know what you want to get out of any performance, including this masterclass.
Get specific and focus on the problems you are still having with your routine. General requests for feedback or praise often yield nothing of value.
Do NOT ask:
- “Do you have any ideas?”
- “Tell me what could be better.”
- “What do you think?”
- “Do you have a good line for this part?”
- “Tell me which joke stood out to you as either great or terrible.”
- “If I had to cut something, what should I cut?”
- “What do you want more of?”
- “What’s your best guess as to how the coin went into the bottle?” (For laypersons. You shouldn’t care about fooling magicians.)
- “I’m having a problem with the audience member asking to turn the card over at this point. Why do you think that is?"
What question will you be asking at the Masterclass?
Before the masterclass, IBM Ring 216 will hold its yearly election of officers. This will take place right at 7:30 p.m., so please be on time! See the previous post for more details.