On Oct. 11, 2023, Ring 216 will host its annual Close-Up Magic Competition, both live and streaming on Zoom!
Mark your calendars and plan to come out to support your fellow magicians as they present their best material in a formal close-up setting.
And since magic is always better when there are more people to enjoy it, bring your friends and family!
The performances start at 7:30 p.m. sharp! We'll be at our usual location at Yu-Ai Kai Senior Center, 588 North 4th Street, San Jose, CA. And we will stream it on Zoom.
Sign up to compete.
Whether you're a past winner, a brand-new entrant, or something in between, now's your chance to share your routines and show off your skills. This is a great, low-stress way to hone your act and get feedback. Remember: The goal is to do your best and not focus on winning. Just have fun!
Sign up now ›
If you're thinking of competing, please keep in mind the following information:
- The goal is to create an atmosphere as close to a formal close-up environment as possible. If you've visited the Magic Castle, picture its close-up room. Guests will join together in groups and will be seated typically in 1-3 rows arranged in a semicircle. The last row will likely be standing to allow all to view the table.
- You'll perform your act up to 4 times for different audiences, depending on the number of guests in attendance.
- All paid members are allowed to compete.
- Acts must be no more than 6 minutes long, so start timing yourself. Note: We may increase this limit based on the number of participants (fewer participants would mean longer acts).
- The competition usually has two divisions: Masters Division is for previous winners of any competition; Standard Division is for everyone else. Each division must have at least four competitors; if not, we will have a single division.
- We hope have at least many non-magicians among our audience members, and we'll try to mix the non-magicians throughout the groups.
- If you've won in the past, you are free to compete, but you have to perform a different act.